Friday, January 6, 2012

BOINC- Donating your computers processing power to science.

First off sorry for no post yesterday I was extremely busy. Anyway Boinc is a program that leverages the power of your computer to contribute to various projects including SETI@home rosetta@home and Einstein@home. Seti is probably one of the more geeky projects but it is really neat. SETI stands for the search for extraterrestrial intelligence and the data is collected from the Arecibo Observatory in purto rico, the largest observatory in the world.There is also various other observatories. If you participate in this project your computer will help process radio waves in the search for life! Einstein is similar and also uses the Arecibo observatory but Einstein searches for pulsars or black holes.

If your interested in joining my computing team email me at : baur227@gmail.com

Here's what the Arecibo observatory looks like.

37 comments:

  1. Fowlling you too.
    tks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is really cool. Finding extraterrestrial intelligence (or just life for that matter) would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extra terrestrial life or human life?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeaaaaah amazing picture and exellent postt i always comment in eacht post you made =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment, following you back dear! ♥XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like giving way computing time. That electricity cost me money you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really cool, and that image reminds me of Golden Eye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is a cool idea. Great if I was living in an apartment where utilities are "free".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to know this project is still going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so awesome. I think SETI@home is incredibly, geekily cool, but I didn't know about rosetta and einstein! Those are equally great. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dead James Bond, nice to know SETI still going.. Informative blog, feel free to check out mine.
    http://popgunreview.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting blog. +following now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't understand a word you said. I'd love to join you, but I don't think I'm qualified.

    Love,

    Janie "Lola"

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I were an alien, that was smart enough to understand us, I would never show myself, all we'd do is dissect or kill them out of fear. Really cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wouldn't you have to have a really powerful computer to make any kind of input?

    Weird Interesting News

    ReplyDelete
  16. @speakers4u well with even a dual core computer with a decent graphics card you can finish a WU (work unit) in like 3 hours. The gpu can do them in like 5-45 min but those are different kinds of work units.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the blog. This is right up my alley.

    Following you and plan to stick around.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy cow! That's a big observatory!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reminds me of Playstation's @home thing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great! I hope we find new life soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've heard about this, such a great idea! There's power in numbers, that's for sure

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is pretty cool... might just have to look into this

    ReplyDelete