Saturday, January 7, 2012

More distributed computing :) - Folding@home Donate your computers power to science!


Folding@home is similar to boinc in that it uses your computer processing power including graphics and cpu power to help scientists do something called protein folding. This is a process that helps scientists lean more about diseases such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many cancers. This program is also built into the Life with playstation on all Sony playstation 3's so if you wanted to get started you need no tech knowledge! Otherwise there is a PC, Mac, and linux application for running the program on your computer. Folding@home is also very similar to the Rosetta@home application on the Boinc client.

32 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my grad classes in molecular biology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep bringing this technology into light for the 'average computer user' as I think this is awesome. I have experience with distributed computing and have noticed companies trending towards it.

    Again, AWESOME concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's basically cloud computing for scientiffic research :) I've always thought it's a great idea for problems of this magnitude, never thought it could be this popular though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a good thing, great of you to post about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting.
    How much processing power would I lose from personal usage if I would join the program?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice of them to learn more and great cause. Just too bad they aren't allowed to actually act on much of it, can't have a cure now can we? Then the poor medical companies would lose billions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they should donate a better computer to me first then :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's pretty cool, I'll have to give it a shot. Some people have such giant computers it wouldn't be a bad idea to donate some of that unused processor speed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. But it's my electricity I paid for it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh nice, i remember doing something like this with SETI. And all i had was a puny P2 and a 56k internet connection :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. What has science done for me? :P jk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, I like it! :D

    FOLLOWED

    ReplyDelete
  13. As much as I would like to contribute to science, I don't think my poor old computer can handle it. :C

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome, I'd happily spend some time running that program to help fight disease.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you think if we got most of the computers in the world linked up like this, we would get skynet?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Will this eat up my internet connection as well?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I run this on my PS3, awesome program.

    ReplyDelete