Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Boinc distributed computing network


BOINC is a program that leverages the computing power of ordinary computers to help different organizations such as Rosetta@home which uses your computers idle processing power to help find cures to diseases. I previously did a post about BOINC but recently the network has become extremely powerful. Combined BOINC has over 2.4 million users and 6.2 petaflops of computing power! For a comparison the worlds most powerful supercomputer is 10.5 petaflops. Of course the 6.2 petaflops is divided amongst many different organizations like I mentioned earlier such as Rosetta, SETI, Einstein, and many others. I currently participate in Rosetta, Seti and Einstein. Seti sends out data collected from the Arecibo satelite - the largest satellite in the world- in search of extraterrestrial life, and Einstein searches for Pulsars or black holes. So far seti hasn't found much of anything but Einstein and Rosetta frequently make discoveries, last year someones home computer running Einstein found a black hole!

25 comments:

  1. Very generous of you to donate your electricity to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's pretty amazing. So I can help by pretty much doing nothing except running my computer. I'll have to check BOINC out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a cool project! i think my father has a computer that he doesn't use anymore... maybe i'll contribute for this too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow a black hole, that is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know my PS3 has that @home thing... I should probably leave that on more often...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is interesting, I never knew about this before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think i heard of this, its similar to a situation NASA was using, and a few universities have used it to solve maths problems. Its a great idea, id do it, id just have to make sure there is no risk of anyone hacking my computer, not that it would make any difference to this tin can i call a laptop. Though i wonder the filth some people have on their hard drives lol, if aliens do make contact, they will think were all sex mad, the first contact might be x rated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was like Japanese to me, but I'm sure it's a great project ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i don't even know what all of this means...

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is fascinating! sometimes i wish my brain could grasp the infinite understanding of those things that are wise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's no limit to the achievements that can be made through crowd-sourcing things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Petaflops!, never heard of this term before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool!!! Yeah I have been with SETI before

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet! I hope we find more black holes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have my old computer running practically night and day so I might as well run SETI on it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sounds like the seti project just for health, very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  17. maybe I'll get in on this, for SCIENCE!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!!!! This is really cool!!!! I'm forwarding this to some friends to share... I had no idea you could even do this... (I want MY computer to find a black hole!).

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice idea...I used to do that seti thing for years so I might give this a whirl

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wish my computer had 64 cores....

    ReplyDelete